Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What Really Grinds My Gears

I had all intentions of writing a recap for the Flyers-Rangers game when I sat down to watch the game, but right before I turned the game on I ate about 3/4 of a baked brie that my lady cooked. That sent me into a food coma that left me almost as cognizant as the Flyers in the 3rd period of yesterdays game. The game really wasn't that exciting, but at least the Flyers picked up the two points. So, since I wasn't in the proper state of mind or properly stimulated to write a recap, I bring the first installment of:

What Really Grinds My Gears

You know what really grinds my gears?

1) Asinine NHL Planing: Its Hockey Day In America! So the NHL plans five games for three time slots on two channels. Sounds great. Run two games at 1 and two games at 4 and put one on VS and one on NBC in each time slot, and then run the outdoor game at the regular time of 7. I guess that made too much sense for the NHL, so they decided to run three games at the same time and put them all on the same channel. What the fuck? So if you are a fan of one of those six teams and don't live in your teams area, you miss the game. Great planning NHL.



2) Delay of Game Penalties:for shooting the puck over the glass. There are a lot of rules that need to be removed from the rule book, but this one really grinds my gears. This was put into place to prevent teams from getting an easy out when they are under heavy pressure in their own end. Their is another infraction in the rules book that is similar, and that is icing. So instead of making similar infractions have the same penalty, the NHL decides it wants to manufacture power plays. Imagine if every time a team iced the puck it was a 2 minute minor. At this point no one is shooting the puck over the glass on purpose. Change the rule and stop trying to manufacture goals.

3) Failure to Put a PP Clock on the Screen: Really NBC? You can't get the the penalty clock on the TV for us? I know it is only a minor inconvenience, but it is annoying. It is just basics at this point. All we need is the score, what period it is, how much time is left in the period, and how much time is left in a PP. Four things, and you fuck one of up.

4) Horrible Refs: Nothing can ruin a game faster than bad refs. Refs that think the game is about them. Refs that don't know the rule book. Refs that think it is their responsibility to determine the how a game will be played. Refs trying to even out the bad call of the other ref. All it takes is one bad ref to drain all of the excitement out of a hockey game.

5) Diving: This one is the worst. It is the worst because I like to think that hockey is a sport that rewards the biggest, strongest, fastest, smartest, or ballsiest person in the play. Diving is a the act of a coward. It is the act of a player that doesn't want to rely on his own skill to win the individual battles during a game. Instead he wants to take the easy path and hope that the ref reward him for being the weakest player on the ice. Diving should be called a lot more in an attempt to drive it from the game.


You know something else that really grinds my gears? When you can't find the droids you're looking for.

So, what really grinds your gears?

No comments: